The Admission Process
APPLICATIONS FOR 2015-16 ARE CLOSED
While applications are no longer being accepted for the 2015-16 academic year, we invite you to visit our website often to learn about the WSU Honors College, its students, and the programming. Information about applications for the 2016-17 academic year will be posted here as soon as they are available.
Following are typical instructions for applying to the WSU Honors College...
- Review the information below about the Honors College Application and Essay.
- Prepare your answer to the essay question and save it to submit as part of the online Honors Application and Essay.
- Apply to the Honors College using a link that will be provided on this page; you will receive an email when your Honors Application and Essay are received.
- Your application will be reviewed by the Honors Admissions Committee.
- You will receive more information from us within three weeks after you have submitted your Honors Application and Essay.
Our evaluation of your completed application and essay will be holistic, taking into account:
- High school GPA and test scores
- The rigor of your high school coursework
- Evaluation of your response to the Honors essay question
NOTE: If you are a current WSU student or are transferring from another college and have a college GPA of 3.50 or above, please call 509-335-4505 and schedule an appointment with an advisor to talk about joining the Honors College.
Honors College Application and Essay
This online form contains all of the information necessary to apply to the Honors College at WSU.
The Honors College Application
The first page of the Application and Essay contains fields which you must complete; required fields are noted as such.
The Honors Essay Questions
Personal essays as part of your application to the Honors College at Washington State University help us to get to know you beyond your academic background of grades, test scores, and courses taken in high school. Through your essay we will learn about you, your ability to think critically and creatively, and how you organize and express your thoughts.
Tips for Completing Your Honors Essay
- Length: Approximately 500 words
- Your essay will be evaluated on content (the significance of the ideas you discuss) as well as form (spelling, grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure). Take care when writing your essay; be sure to edit and proofread before you submit. It is an important element of your application to Honors.
- Make sure that you have actually answered the essay question. Your essay will be evaluated on your ability to express your thoughts clearly and think creatively and critically.
- Remember your audience. Washington State University is an academic community that values critical thinking, creativity, and thoughtful individual reflection.
- Compose your essay in a word processing program (e.g. Microsoft Word) and paste your essay into the text box of the online application.
Read the question carefully, reflect on it, and respond.
ESSAY 1 (required)
(These questions change each year.)
SUPPLEMENTAL INFORMATION (optional)
We want to get to know you better. If you would like to add something that would enhance your application, please do so by sharing your thoughts in 400 words or less (you might want to include involvement, accomplishments, or special circumstances).
Applications for 2015-16 are closed.
You will be sent a brief email to let you know that your application and essay have been received by the Honors College at WSU. You will receive more information from us within three weeks after you have submitted your Honors Application and Essay.