The Admission Process
- Apply to Washington State University
- Include the six personal statement questions
- Submit your transcripts and test scores to the Office of Admissions
- Submit your Honors essay to the Honors College
- Your complete application will be reviewed by the Honors admissions committee after you have been offered admission to WSU
- You will receive a letter from Honors within a few weeks after your application has been completed
Our evaluation of these applications will be holistic, taking into account:
- High school GPA and test scores*
- The rigor of coursework during all four years of high school including the senior year
- Answers to the six questions completed for the WSU application
- Evaluation of the response to the Honors essay question (see below)
- Enthusiasm for becoming a student in the Honors College and understanding of the program’s goals
- Commitment to taking an active role in his/her education
- Willingness to learn in new ways
If you are a current WSU student or are transferring from another college, and have a college GPA of 3.50 or above, please call 509-335-4505 and schedule an appointment with an advisor to talk about joining the Honors College.
NOW THAT YOU HAVE COMPLETED YOUR WSU APPLICATION, CONSIDER APPLYING TO THE HONORS COLLEGE! APPLICATIONS ARE STILL BEING ACCEPTED.
The Essay Question
"You have heard of great minds, important and influential people—people who have made a difference in the lives of others. Identify an individual who has made a difference in your life, directly or indirectly. Explain what this individual did, what motivated his or her behavior, and the ways in which he/she has influenced your life."
Tips for Completing Your Honors Essay
- Suggested length: 400-500 words
- Make sure that you have actually answered the essay question.
- Edit and proofread your essay. Double check your spelling, grammar, and sentence structure. We will be evaluating your ability to write clearly and think critically in addition to your grades and scores.
- Remember your audience. Washington State University is an academic community which values critical thinking, creativity, and thoughtful individual reflection.
- Have fun. Be creative. Introduce yourself. Let us get to know you.
Submitting Your Essay
Your essay responding to the question must be emailed to email@example.com. Be sure to include your complete name and your WSU ID number.
NOTE: Information on this page is subject to change. Please check back often for any updates.