WSU Veterinary Hospital Internship

— by Deven Tokuno

Kelsey Withrow
Kelsey Withrow
“My Honors experience has had a very positive impact on my education—I have thoroughly enjoyed the classes and feel that mentorship and class participation really helped me become a better speaker and writer. Without those skills, I would not have been able to get this internship.”

Kelsey Withrow, junior zoology major from Escalon, Calif. has a head start in her veterinary career  by working as an intern with the Veterinary Teaching Hospital at Washington State University. Withrow, who plans to go to vet school, is enjoying this three-semester, competitive position.

“I feel very privileged to have this opportunity as an undergraduate,” says Withrow. “Although I am only in the first semester, I have learned so much about my future profession.”

Each of the three semesters focuses on a unique topic. In the first, interns work with large animal medicine; the second focuses on small and exotic animal medicine; and in the third semester, students are mentors to first-semester interns. This cycle of learning and teaching is unique to WSU.

When asked what interns do on the job, Withrow explains that “I clean equipment, observe and occasionally help with procedures and exams as well as surgeries, and do anything else that helps the veterinary technicians, doctors, or students. In the large animal department, interns rotate through farm animal medicine, equine medicine, equine surgery, and barn crew.”

Although completing an internship is not a requirement to get into veterinary school, field work and research are strongly encouraged.

Withrow looks forward to life as a vet. “Even before I started the internship I knew I wanted to specialize in small animal medicine,” she explains. “But now I am even more excited. I absolutely love dogs and cats and I can’t wait to spend the rest of my life trying to help them live long and healthy lives.”

To learn more about this unique opportunity, see:

Pre-Veterinary Medicine