In order to consider your admission to the WSU Honors College, we must first know whether you have been admitted to WSU. Apply to Washington State University here.
Step 2: Apply to the WSU Honors College
After you have completed your WSU Application, apply to the Honors College to experience the benefits of small classes and experienced professors in a community of academically talented students like yourself!
Admission for Fall 2021 is now closed.
The application for Fall 2022 admission will open in early fall 2021.
If you would like to join the Honors College in spring 2022, please schedule an appointment with us. WSU students with a GPA of 3.5 or above can meet with an Honors advisor to discuss the requirements of joining the Honors College.
Our evaluation of your completed application and essays will be holistic, taking into account:
Unweighted high school GPA
Evaluation of your response to both Honors Writing Prompts
Writing Prompt 1:
Imagine you are putting together a team to work on an issue that is important to you. Briefly describe that issue and what skills, experience, and expertise you would seek in your team members and why.
Writing Prompt 2:
At the WSU Honors College we realize that applicants cannot be reduced to their academic transcripts. Pick one activity or experience and explain how it illustrates an important aspect of who you are and how it reflects on your own values or those of your community.
Ready to take the next step? Apply now!
Application submission instructions
- Prepare your responses to writing prompt 1 and writing prompt 2:
– Save both responses in a single word document or PDF to submit as part of the online Honors Application and Essay.
– Name the file using your last and first names separated by a period and using upper and lower cases (ex. Lastname.Firstname)
– Include your first and last names at the top of the essay above Part I.
– Label your individual responses as “Essay 1” and “Essay 2” within the document.
- Submit your completed application to the Honors College here.
Note: The first page of the application contains required fields for WSU ID and other information that helps us link your WSU application to your Honors College Applications. Without this information, we may not be able to process your application.
Tips for completing the Honors Essays
Personal writing help us to get to know you beyond your academic background of grades and courses taken in high school. Through your writing submissions, we wish to not only learn about what makes you who you are. We also wish to evaluate your ability to think critically and creatively, and how you organize and express your thoughts.
IMPORTANT: We provide 2 writing prompts. Applicants must respond to both prompts. Thus, all applicants must submit 2 responses in their application submission. Each response should vary between 400 and 500 words (1000 words total for your writing submission).
- Compose your responses using a word processing program (e.g. Microsoft Word) and paste your essays, or a pdf of them, into the text box of the online application.
- When naming the document, please use just your last and first name in this upper/lower-case format only (no other descriptors are necessary): ex., Smith.Mary
- Both essays should be submitted in one Word or pdf document.
- Put your first and last names at the top of the essay above Part I.
- Identify “Essay 1” and “Essay 2.”
- Read the questions carefully, reflect on them, and prepare the required response.
- Essay 1 & 2 Length: 400-500 words each
- Your essays will be evaluated on content (the significance of the ideas you discuss) as well as form (spelling, grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure). Take care when writing your essays; be sure to edit and proofread before you submit. It is an important element of your application to Honors.
- Make sure that you have actually answered the question. Your essay will also be evaluated on your ability to express your thoughts clearly and think creatively and critically.
- Remember your audience. Washington State University is an academic community valuing critical thinking, creativity, and thoughtful individual reflection.
Application Processing Timeline
- Application is received. An email confirming application submission is sent to the applicant email address. If the applicant has already been accepted to WSU, then their Honors College application will be processed without delay. If the applicant is not yet accepted to WSU, then the application will remain on file. Processing will begin once the applicant has received admission to WSU.
- Evaluation committee members read and evaluate each writing response. This process can take up to one calendar month to reach an Honors College admission decision.
- Admission decision is reached. Admission decisions are delivered to the applicant via email to the address provided in the application packet.
- If invited to join the Honors College, the invited applicant must respond to confirm their seat in the Honors College Incoming Class of Spring or Fall 2021 by following the confirmation link provided in the invitation letter.
To guarantee your spot in the Honors College, we must receive your confirmation by December 31st, 2020 (Spring 21 admits) or May 1st, 2021 (Fall 21 admits).
* A 3.5 cumulative college GPA is required to join the Honors College
Current WSU Students
*A 3.5 cumulative college GPA or above, is required to join the Honors College
*If you have any other questions about the application, please feel welcome to contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org .