In order to consider your admission to the WSU Honors College, we must first know whether you have been admitted to WSU. Apply to Washington State University here.
Step 2: Review our Required Writing Prompts
After you have completed your WSU Application, begin your application to the Honors College by reviewing both writing prompt 1 and writing prompt 2. Personal writing help us to get to know you beyond your academic background of grades and courses taken in high school. Through your writing submissions, we wish to not only learn about what makes you who you are. We also wish to evaluate your ability to think critically and creatively, and how you organize and express your thoughts.
Writing Prompt 1:
Imagine you are putting together a team to work on an issue that is important to you. Briefly describe that issue and what skills, experience, and expertise you would seek in your team members and why.
Writing Prompt 2:
At the WSU Honors College we realize that applicants cannot be reduced to their academic transcripts. Pick one activity or experience and explain how it illustrates an important aspect of who you are and how it reflects on your own values or those of your community.
Tips for completing the Honors Essays
- Compose your responses using a word processing program (e.g. Microsoft Word) and paste your essays, or a pdf of them, into the text box of the online application.
- When naming the document, please use just your last and first name in this upper/lower-case format only (no other descriptors are necessary): ex., Smith.Mary
- Both essays should be submitted in one Word or pdf document.
- Put your first and last names at the top of the first essay.
- Identify “Essay 1” and “Essay 2.”
- Read the questions carefully, reflect on them, and prepare the required response.
- Both essays should be 400-500 words each
- Your essays will be evaluated on how well they relate to the writing prompts, as well as: spelling, grammar, critical thinking, and creativity. Your essays should also clearly convey your thoughts and ideas while maintaining continuity.
- Please proofread your essays and make necessary edits prior to submission.
- Your essays will be evaluated by Honors College faculty, and they should be written with professional and scholarly language.
- We provide 2 writing prompts. Applicants must respond to both prompts.
- Admission decisions are made using a rubric that considers your essay evaluations as well as your unweighted high school GPA.
Step 3: Write and Submit your Essay Responses
Application Submission Instructions
- Prepare your responses to writing prompt 1 and writing prompt 2:
– Save both responses in a single word document or PDF to submit as part of the online Honors Application and Essay.
– Name the file using your last and first names separated by a period and using upper and lower cases (ex. Lastname.Firstname)
– Include your first and last names at the top of the essay above Part I.
– Label your individual responses as “Essay 1” and “Essay 2” within the document.
- Sign into your WSU application portal to upload and submit your completed essay responses. In doing so, you will attach your WSU Honors College essay submission to your larger WSU application. This ensures that the Honors College admissions team receive all the information needed to carefully evaluate your application and issue you a decision for the Fall 2022 academic year.
Application Processing Timeline
- Application is received. An email confirming application submission is sent to the applicant email address. If the applicant has already been accepted to WSU, then their Honors College application will be processed without delay. If the applicant is not yet accepted to WSU, then the application will remain on file. Processing will begin once the applicant has received admission to WSU.
- Evaluation committee members read and evaluate each writing response. This process can take up to one calendar month to reach an Honors College admission decision.
- Admission decision is reached. Admission decisions are delivered to the applicant via email to the address provided in the application packet.
- If invited to join the Honors College, the invited applicant must respond to confirm their seat in the Honors College Incoming Class of Spring or Fall 2023 by following the confirmation link provided in the invitation letter.
If you would like to join the Honors College in spring 2023, please schedule an appointment with us.
* A 3.5 cumulative college GPA is required for transfer students to join the Honors College
Current WSU Students
*A 3.5 cumulative college GPA or above, is required to join the Honors College
- How is the Freshmen Honors Application evaluated?
- What are the essay prompts?
- What are tips for completing the Honors essays?
- What are the application submission instructions?
- What is the minimum H.S. GPA for applicants to be considered?
Answer: We will considered all applications, regardless of H.S. GPA.
- What if I/my student receives a denial letter from the WSU Honors College?
Answer: Don’t worry. Schedule an advising appointment, and we would be happy to explain your options to you.
*If you have any other questions about the application, please feel welcome to contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org .