Applications for the 2017-18 academic year are now open. Please note that there is no formal deadline to apply for admission to the WSU Honors College. Our application will remain open until capacity for the 2017 class has been reached. If you have questions about applying, please contact the Washington State University Honors College by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apply to Washington State University
After you have completed your WSU Application, apply to the Honors College to experience the benefits of small classes and experienced professors in a community of academically talented students like yourself!
- Review the information below about the Honors College Application and Essays.
- Prepare your answer to the Essay 1 and Essay 2 and save it as one word document or PDF to submit as part of the online Honors Application and Essay; name it using your last and first names separated by a comma and using upper and lower cases (ex. Smith, Mary).
- Apply to the Honors College; you will receive an email when your Honors Application and Essays are received.
- Your application will be reviewed by the Honors Admissions Committee.
- You will receive more information from us within three weeks after you have submitted your Honors Application and Essay.
Our evaluation of your completed application and essay will be holistic, taking into account:
- High school GPA and test scores
- Evaluation of your response to the Honors essay questions
NOTE: If you are a current WSU student or are transferring from another college and have a college GPA of 3.50 or above, please call 509-335-4505 and schedule an appointment with an advisor to talk about joining the Honors College.
The Honors College Application
The first page of the Application and Essays contain fields which you must complete; many fields are required. Click here to apply to the WSU Honors college.
The Honors Essays
Personal essays as part of your application to the Honors College at Washington State University help us to get to know you beyond your academic background of grades, test scores, and courses taken in high school. Through your essay we will learn about you, your ability to think critically and creatively, and how you organize and express your thoughts.
Note that there are two parts to the essay. Completion of both parts is required.
Imagine that you are backpacking through a foreign country. Because you want to engage with the local population, you have brought three items in your backpack that will help them learn about your culture and worldview. What three items have you chosen, and how do they represent these aspects of you?
At the WSU Honors College, we realize that applicants cannot be reduced to their test scores and GPA. We want to know what makes you tick. Pick one activity or experience to explain an important aspect of who you are, something that no one would be able to learn by reading your academic transcripts.
Tips for Completing the Honors Essays
- Compose your responses using a word processing program (e.g. Microsoft Word) and paste your essays, or a pdf of them, into the text box of the online application.
- When naming the document, please use just your last and first name in this upper/lower-case format only (no other descriptors are necessary): ex., Smith, Mary
- Both essays should be submitted in one Word or pdf document.
- Put your first and last names at the top of the essay above Part I.
- Identify “Essay 1” and “Essay 2.”
- Read the questions carefully, reflect on them, and prepare the required response.
- Essay 1 & 2 Length: 400-500 words each
- Your essays will be evaluated on content (the significance of the ideas you discuss) as well as form (spelling, grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure). Take care when writing your essays; be sure to edit and proofread before you submit. It is an important element of your application to Honors.
- Make sure that you have actually answered the question. Your essay will also be evaluated on your ability to express your thoughts clearly and think creatively and critically.
- Remember your audience. Washington State University is an academic community valuing critical thinking, creativity, and thoughtful individual reflection.
You will be sent a brief email to let you know that your application and essay have been received by the WSU Honors College. You will receive more information from us within one month after you have submitted your Honors Application and Essay.
Note: Notification emails are not automated. Please allow us extra time to process your application when submitting outside normal business hours and near holidays.